So, my kid has this thing called "post-exercise delayed hypoglycemia", which is just a complicated way of saying her shit drops low overnight after a day of a lot of activity. It took us a while to figure this out. We expected her BG to drop during (and in the hours immediately after) exercising, but we didn't realize it could extend several hours after the fact, which typically means overnight. Awesome.
Once we realized this was an issue, we backed way off on how much insulin we gave her in the hours after a lot of exercise (soccer game, marathon trampoline session, etc). But that nearly always meant super high BGs overnight. Maneuvering her post-activity insulin needs is much more nuanced than we realized but recently, L has become a total diabadass at it.
She's been playing soccer since she was 4 years old and the first question she asked the doctors in the hospital after diagnosis was "will I still be able to play soccer?". A week and a half later she was back at practice, while I sat on the sidelines clutching an insulin pen and skittles to my chest like a life preserver. Here we are two and a half years later, and she has become so skilled at managing her BGs after intense exercise that she makes all her own food/insulin decisions now, with much greater success than John and I ever had.
I've asked her how she is able to nail it almost every time, like is there some sort of mathematical equation I can utilize to help me figure it out? But no, there are too many variables, some of which come from just being in tune with her own body and just having a couple of years of experience under her belt, I guess.The best word I can think of to describe it is finesse. Finesse: skill in handing a difficult or highly sensitive situation; adroit and artful management.
My kid: nailing her post-exercise delayed hypoglycemia with finesse.
Oh nice! I long for this day. Thank you for the hope. The nights after intense activity blow.
ReplyDeleteSuper! We have just started working with Lia on running (she wants to do cross country next year) and have seen the same thing. One small drop shortly after she's finished, then a larger one a couple of hours later, continuing for several hours more. Oddly enough, when she played soccer her BG went up, but that could have something to do with the fact that it was the Y league and they did a lot of just standing :)
ReplyDeleteI know what a great trick that is! Bravo for you girl! Bravo!
ReplyDeleteImpressive. I'm a grown-up and I still haven't figured out the higher math algorithms needed to solve the post-exercise blues.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome - and 'diabadass' needs to be trademarked or something!!
ReplyDeleteportrait of a good mom: "clutching an insulin pen and skittles to my chest like a life preserver."
ReplyDeletei love the idea of my child being able to intuit his needs--your daughter is my new role model. it's like she's her own hypoglycemia service dog.
All that without a CGM? Awesome!!! She's got a sixth sense. That's amazing.
ReplyDelete