Friday, May 14, 2010

moronic moment (day 5)

Today's topic was meant to be the role exercise plays in your diabetes management, but my kid is 10 and she plays soccer and swims and goes to recess and PE and there's not much more to it than that. So instead I have chosen to play one of the blogging week wild card options: Moronic Moments.

Picture this: your kid has just transitioned to using an insulin pump and you're doing your best to remember all the different things that need to be taken into consideration with this treatment versus multiple daily injections. One thing to keep in mind is that if she needs to take a shower, but it's not time to change her infusion set, you'll need to protect her site so that the warm water doesn't cause the adhesive to peel off.

*lightbulb* Why don't we use some tegaderm to cover that bad boy up?

Oh wait, pick me, I know this one!

(now)

BECAUSE TEGADERM IS THE STICKIEST SUBSTANCE THIS SIDE OF WHATEVER THEY USE TO AFFIX PRICE TAGS ONTO THE GLASS PART OF PICTURE FRAMES (I MEAN SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THAT ABOUT), SO WHEN THE TIME COMES TO REMOVE THE TEGADERM FROM YOUR CHILD, PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE HORROR THAT IS THE INFUSION SET BEING PULLED FROM HER TENDER BELLY, AS IT IS HAS SOMEHOW FUSED WITH THE TEGADERM, AND AS YOU BEGIN TO UNWITTINGLY YANK THE CANNULA FROM BENEATH HER SKIN, THAT THING WILL BEND AND POKE HER AND CAUSE PERMANENT EMOTIONAL DAMAGE TO ANYONE UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED, NOT THE LEAST OF WHICH, OBVIOUSLY, IS YOUR TEN-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER.







Rookie mistake. Won't be making it again.

11 comments:

  1. ohmygosh that sounds TERRIBLE! Poor L!

    And what IS with price tags on pictures frames anyway? Although I have found rubbing alcohol does the trick quite nicely. And lucky for me, there seems to be quite an abundance of it at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow...I am sure you are way harder on yourself than she is on you. If there is a silver lining...I am sure you just helped someone not make the same mistake.
    www.thediabeticduo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhhhhh. such a freakin brilliant idea, until... poor little L, and poor you because I know you will be feeling that pain longer than she did. your sense(s) of humor will get you both through - no worries there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That picture hurts my heart!! I'm sure she isn't permanently emotionally damaged or anything. But at the same time I'm sure she filed that away to guilt you with later on...I'm a girl, and I would do something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne - ahaha, yes, rubbing alcohol in abundance! Peanut butter works for me, oddly enough. Dunno of sunbutter would also do the trick, though. ;)

    renata - thanks for your kind words. It would be great if I could stop even one person from doing that.

    FDM - ah, thanks. now we put that Glad Press 'n' Seal stuff over it, and then put the tegaderm on. It kinda works. Sometimes.

    Meri - Yeah, it was pretty brutal. And dude, you are so right, she is all about bringing stuff up at a later date. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She just learned a valuable lesson that she will carry with her for ages, that's all.

    Also, Tegaderm scares me. The stuff is unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw all these posts. This was cool to read! Do it mooooore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooohhhhh!!!! Don't beat yourself up too much - who would have thought the stupid tegaderm would fuse to the set like that? To be honest, that stupid tape won't even stick to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BP - yeah, I learned that lesson too!

    amy - thanks. you toooooo.

    Karen - Tegaderm doesn't stick to you? Wow. Our solution was to put some Glad Press 'n' Seal over the site and the Tegaderm over that. Works like a charm now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon, just a quick tip from a pumper x2 (my daughter and I both have pumps)...if you switch to Skin Prep Wipes (instead of IV Prep Wipes), they make the infusion sets stick to the skin better and much less likely to come off with warm water. Seriously, we go swimming all summer long and those things never come off as long as they've been put on with the Skin Preps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy! Thanks so much for that tip! I know it will come in very handy indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete