Here are two snapshots from the first couple of weeks after diagnosis that I wanted to post here for your enjoyment.
10 September 2009
10:50pm
I give L a glucose test and she sleeps right through it. Her result is lower than the target range, so I wake her up to take some fast-acting crabs. She is half-propped up in the low light, groggily munching on candy. I say to her, softly: "Sorry I had to wake you up to make you eat Skittles, but your blood sugar is 64." Without missing a beat, she responds: "It's okay...it's better than going into a MINI-COMA!" and she says the last two words with a flourish and a smile and a huge thumbs up. I fall out laughing and grab the insulin log book to record everything word for word because, come ON.
My next anecdote didn't happen in a single moment in time, rather it's something she's been building and adding to over the course of a few weeks. When you remove the cap for an insulin pen, it makes a very distinctive sound, much like that of a sword being unsheathed. SCHWING! She made the connection to superheroes and decided that there should be a superhero called Insulin Woman. She would have two pancreases (pancreii?), one with Type 1 Diabetes and one with Type 2. They are each connected by a tube to an insulin pen, that would be attached to her tool belt, one pen on each hip. When Insulin Woman sees evil people, she schwings out the pen that is connected to the pancreas that still makes insulin (the one with Type 2) and shoots the insulin into the enemy's mouth, which makes them have low blood sugar, and then they go into a mini-coma (if they don't have fast-acting crabs). Sometimes she pulls out the wrong pen and then she says OOPS! WRONG ONE, then puts it back and schwings out the other one. Her superhero outfit would feature an animated Capital I in the middle of her chest. The long part of the I would be drawn in the shape of a person, and the top and bottom lines of the I would be made from insulin pens. Can't you just see it now?
That's all for now, folks! Thanks so much for your comments and emails. We all read them together and we appreciate your support. Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment